Konnichiwa!

August 25, 2016


The days this week felt slow but the week itself went by pretty fast. Over the weekend we took a trip to Osaka. We visited a church there for Easter last year and have stayed in touch with the people we met. Sean helps the pastor weekly by checking the English translations to his sermons. This allows international visitors or members to have an English language hand-out of the sermon to follow along with. 


A member of the church we met last time graciously offered us one of the apartments she rents out to use for the weekend. It was right in the city and a great location to explore. We spent the weekend walking around, shopping, taking in the sights and enjoying new friends. One thing I love about Japan is that everywhere you go there are new things to look at. The markets here are amazing with endless amounts of seafood that is still ALIVE and wiggles as you walk by. Shopping areas are easy to spend a ton of time in. Shops are full of odd and interesting things. It was overall a good visit and nice to have a little weekend getaway. 


Sean started official classes and is working daily with a half day on Fridays. He is loving his students and the job so far. This weekend we are getting a car! I am super excited about this and a bit nervous. You have to drive on the opposite side of the road here and I anticipate that will be a bit tricky.  We both got our international drivers licenses before we left. It’s crazy how filling out a piece of paper and paying a fine makes it legal. I will definitely be taking some pictures and filling you all in on the experience. 


A car means a lot for me. I take the train and the bus most places that I need to go. The heat is extreme here and this Prego mama is dripping minutes after I walk out the front door. There are also some places I would love explore that are hard to reach by public transportation. A car means a bit more freedom for me. We are also in need of some more things for the house and carrying them back is not a reality (table and chairs). So a car is exciting and I am really looking forward to it. Amazing how things I took for granted in the U.S. are things I long for…


Most of the things I dream about these days are food items that I am unable to find here. I will list a few so that you know my pain: Dove chocolate, TACOS, Frank’s Red Hot, oven baked brownies, peanut butter, ranch dressings, PIZZA, milk duds, good coffee and HUMMUS (I need to learn how to make my own). 


Hope everyone is having a good week! Miss you! If anyone has any questions or a topic that they are interested in hearing more about let me know :)


You Might Also Like

11 comments

  1. Auntie Julie25.8.16

    Hummus
    1 can (19 oz) Progresso™ chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained, 1/4 cup liquid reserved 1/2 cup tahini 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil 3 tablespoons lemon juice 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 teaspoon regular table salt 1/8 teaspoon pepper Chopped fresh parsley

    Directions
    1. In food processor or blender, place beans, reserved bean liquid, tahini, 1/4 cup oil, the lemon juice, garlic, table salt and pepper. Cover; blend on high speed, stopping blender occasionally to scrape down sides, until smooth. Spoon dip into serving dish. Sprinkle with parsley.

    Add whatever you want to it...olives, sun dried tomatoes, artichokes....spinach......you name it!!!

    Love you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sounds AMAZING! And I bet I can find all of those things in the grocery store here! THANK YOU. I will be attempting this for sure...We have a blender here so it might actually work!

      <3 LOVE YOU AUNTIE

      Delete
  2. Auntie Julie25.8.16

    I need your address so I can mail you some things you are missing......XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. The international drivers licenses are still paper?! Lol, I remember being amazed by the same thing Hannah..."really, I can drive in Europe now, but it's just paper"?! Forget peanut butter unless you have access to a USA military base, it's an American thing. I see your Auntie already gave you a great hummus recipe, homemade is really good!!! And no worries about a RHD car, you'll get the hang of it within a day or so. I rented a car to practice, only hit one curb! It's just the weirdness of it all to get over to make you comfortable. Your parents have the Yaris so you are used to small cars; Sean will just have to implement the Dominicans style of carrying large items on small vehicles to get tables and chairs into/onto whatever you buy! 😂😂😂

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA thank you for the encouragement! I am nervous but excited to try it out! And yes peanut butter is a long lost friend. I didnt even think about areas near military bases! I have to look but I think we will be near one if we visit the city we were looking into....good idea! and yes we may have to do some strapping to get things home that are not in boxes and can be self assembled ha thanks for reading Dawn!

      Delete
  4. I was thinking while watching your taste get video that you need DOVE CHOCOLATE!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ya I blame that craving on being pregnant. Its more of like a fat kid dream than a craving haha I imagine myself eating the entire bag <3
      miss you Jenna!

      Delete
  5. I love your posts!! What an experience!! Good luck to you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe! Thank you for reading! Hope your well!

      Delete

Popular Posts