13 hour flights, rice paddies and festivals

August 14, 2016

My first week here went by extremely fast. The flight was longer and harder than I expected. I have flown my share of long flights and thought I knew what I was in for. One thing I have found, is that when you are pregnant, nothing is quite what it seems.  A couple of hours in I knew it was going to be a challenge. My mouth was dry, my feet started to feel heavy and my skin was already getting tight around my ankles. I filled up my water bottle every time the drink tray passed and walked every hour or two. 6 movies and two meals later I made it to Japan. I couldn’t fit my feet back into my shoes but I made it. 

When it came to getting around in the Tokyo Haneda Airport and finding my connecting flight to Yonago, everything went smoothly. Most signs in Japan are in both Japanese and English. It’s surprisingly easy to navigate public transportation. Generally people are extremely kind and helpful here. 
 
Our apartment is a small, one bedroom, western style unit that’s just a year old. It definitely needed some love as far as making it feel like home. Amazon JP has been our friend and slowly but surely its feeling more comfortable around here. (I will post some pictures or a video walk through next week sometime). The area we live in is GORGEOUS. We are right by Mount Daisen and for being from flat, Upstate New York the views outside our door are breathtaking. We are right next to the train station with easy access to Yonago city, grocery stores, restaurants and shopping. There is also a strip of stores in our little town that we are able to walk to. The countryside covered in vibrant rice paddies is more beautiful that I could have anticipated. 

We came just in time for the Yonago summer festival! Sean’s coworker picked us up and we drove into the city. We sat on lawn chairs in the park by the water and ate our fill of Japanese “junk food”. Some people were walking around in their Yukata (casual summer kimono).  They looked so good! Talented taiko drummers drummed on the stage as the fireworks show began. It was a perfect way to start our time here in Japan. Oh and please feel free to comment below with any questions. I will do my best to answer them :)












You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. I love this and I love you. Good job boo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunt Shelly15.8.16

    Hi Hannah! So glad things are going well for you guys! Quite an adventure. Enjoy the new chapter in your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, thank you for reading! Love you Auntie

      Delete

Popular Posts