No shoes no problem

August 24, 2017


I try my best to be culturally sensitive when we go out in public. Its not always easy, and a cup of coffee at home wins out over outings some of the time. When we go out of the house there are some things I do or don’t do just because I am aware they may be offensive or odd to the people around me. I think I would be pretty ignorant to completely ignore those things but I also try not to overthink it. I pick and choose what to do depending on how comfortable I am with the situation. I'm going to list a few examples below.

This isn’t really a social difference but it is something that effects us every time we go out. We understand that Lucy is just a normal baby... in America. Here in Japan, Lucy is a superstar, or at least you would think so. Every time we go out people stare at her. People comment on her skin being so white, her big blue eyes and her lack of hair. For the most part people are pretty sweet and mean well. Normally, people say she looks like a doll and want to touch her or take pictures with her. Sometimes it’s a blast and hilarious when you catch someone seeing her for the first time. Just this past week a woman walked into the banana box at the grocery store because she was distracted by her. Honestly, some days I just want to be left alone and do everyday things like a normal person.

Babies don’t usually wear shoes in Japan. I am not kidding!  They do not have baby shoes at our local baby store. I honestly have never seen a child that doesn’t walk with shoes on. This also applies in the winter months. I have looked up why and also asked friends about the reasoning behind it. There are a few different opinions. The practical reason is that there really isn’t a need for shoes. I cannot tell you how many people asked me if she could walk when they seen her with shoes on as a newbornThere is also a belief that our feet control our body temperature and need to be exposed to do so. Therefore, they should not be covered or your not allowing the infant to warm or cool themselves. 

This one was hard for me at first and still is. I was honestly shocked when people offered or asked to hold Lucy. Generally, this happens when I don’t have extra hands. This has happened at the bank, post office, grocery checkout line and restaurants. Normally it was when I had to pay and my hands were full with Lucy. If you remember form my last blog I explained that most people don’t use strollers and there are no infant carrier car seats to carry around. Because of this there are many situations where you simply don't have your hands free. Also, the people that offer to hold her are employed by the business I was in at the time. This is pretty weird for me and way out of my comfort zone. But it can be very helpful at times.

I want to end this blog by saying that this is all my personal opinion and what I have lived and observed. It doesn’t matter where you are or what culture you are in, there are going to be different opinions on how things should be done. However, many Japanese like order and following guidelines. This plays a big role in child rearing and the expectations that people have of new moms and dads.  







You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts