Camping in Japan with a baby

September 24, 2017


This weekend we went on a family camping trip. We were invited by our friends to go with them. When we started the journey of living in Japan we both agreed that we would do our best to accept every opportunity possible. Despite Sean being partial to indoor sleeping arrangements, he jumped at the invitation to camp for his first time!  

I personally have camped before but mostly when I was a teenager and I didn’t worry much about anything other then what I was going to wear. This was an entirely new experience for me however, because I had to think through how camping looks with a 10 month old.

Lucy was an absolute champ. I was most worried about how she would sleep and I think she slept better then Sean and I combined. She didn’t seem to mind the change in sleeping arrangements one bit. I am pretty proud of her and how she so easily adapts to all the situations that she is in. Her biggest frustration these days is her desire to always be down walking around and exploring. Our biggest challenged in letting her explore without injuring herself or ingesting rocks and living creepy crawlers.

Overall camping in Japan wasn’t all that different then back in the states. We all packed up our cars and caravanned to our destination. Everyone pitched their tents and we started a fire. The kids ran around and we grilled food and ate to our hearts content. When it got dark we did fireworks and made treats on the fire. We stayed up late, laughed and listened to music. In the morning we had pancakes, breakfast sandwiches and hot coffee. It was peaceful and perfect.

On our ride home Sean and I were overwhelmed with gratitude for the friends we have made here. There is a special group of people who have welcomed us into their intimate little clan and we are so very thankful. I honestly don’t know what we would do without them. This weekend is going down in the books as a Kelley Camping trip success.












You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts